The refreshing side to living in France – nature, food and drink, culture, language and our Big Picture feature along with bilingual crosswords, quizzes and book reviews – plus what makes it the world’s most popular tourist destination.
Speaking of politics ...
What’s in a word? All about merci
P*****! My arms are falling off!
Abandoned places, they're what he's living for
Classic art given a modern feminist twist
Trilling finch thrills with aerial display
Meet the great garden acrobat
The wheels on the piste go round and round
Animal magic in the snow
- What is the most common distinguishing feature of high-heeled shoes made by the designer Christian Louboutin?
- What is traditionally the second of the three elements in the national motto of France, not to mention in that of Haiti?
- In an epic 12th century folk poem attributed to Pierre de St. Cloud, which vulpine trickster’s chief enemy is his own uncle, Ysengrim the wolf?
- What French word can bring to mind a hazelnut, the British pop group fronted since 2003 by Shingei Shoniwa, or a small circular portion of lean lamb?
- Other than the club name and a small fleur-de-lys, a stylised version of what appears on the badge of Paris Saint-Germain football club?
- What was the elemental name of Jean-Michel Jarre’s third studio album, a synthesized extravaganza which spent much of 1977 at the top of the French charts?
- With its administrative centre at Lille, what is the appropriate name of the most northerly of France’s 96 metropolitan départements?
- With what profession would you mainly associate the young Frenchwomen Constance Jablonski, Sigrid Agren and Noémie Lenoir?
- Where in Paris is there a 108-metre long funicular railway that carries around two million passengers a year, mostly tourists and pilgrims?
- In Eugene Delacroix’s dramatic 1830 painting Liberty Leading the People, Liberty holds a rifle in her left hand. What, specifically, does she hold in her right?
The Prodigal Daughter
If you know nothing about how to run a restaurants, you are about to learn as this is a training course from the keyboard of one of the UK’s favourite TV chefs.