Here you will find inspiring articles on nature, food and drink, and culture – the simple pleasures that make living in France such a joy. You can also enjoy bilingual crosswords, quizzes, book and film reviews – plus lifestyle and travel ideas. We have organised articles by subject – read the latest below or browse sections via the blue tabs. The Cx symbol denotes subscriber-only articles.
Oups, hop, paf: French mini expressions that say a lot
French blague humour: you’ve gotta laugh
French Language notes - April 2019
Sorceress, midwife, poisoner: meet ‘La Voisin’
French films review - April 2019
Accordion music finds new fans among the young
Green news in France - April 2019
Grower’s digest - April 2019
An optimistic look at future of France’s wildlife
Building on a millennium of Franco-German influences
Around France in seven engineering marvels
- What keyboard symbol has seen vastly increased use in the last 20 years and is known in French as ‘l’arobase’?
- Already an Olympic silver medallist, in what track and field event did Parisian Kévin Mayer become world champion in London in August 2017?
- What is the English name of the island in the Atlantic known in one of the official languages of the country to which it belongs as ‘Terre-Neuve’?
- Which Lennon & McCartney composition was performed in 1964 by Johnny Hallyday under the title ‘Quand je l’ai vue devant moi’?
- What is the usual two-word English name for the fungal grape infection Botrytis cinerea which imparts a distinctive flavour to Sauternes wines from the Bordeaux region?
- One of the most famous 20th century poems in the English language, who created the work which contains the words, “Et O ces voix d’enfants, chantant dans la coupole!”
- Former French Republican politician Michel Barnier was appointed to what role within the European Union in December 2016?
- Cultivated in order to complement the local Mediterranean cuisine, between half and two thirds of all wine produced in the vineyards of Provence is of what general type?
- By what diminutive name is Margaret of Valois, wife of Henri of Navarre, known in the title of a 1994 French film in which she was played by Isabelle Adjani?
- Who was pictured in a famous photograph taken on the front terrace of the Palais de Chaillot on June 6th 1940, with the Eiffel Tower in the immediate background?
Quoi de neuf - French shopping in April 2019
Simplicity is key to this spiritual retreat
Loading some business profiles...
Loading some classifieds...